Tomato Mac & Cheese





This is the easiest mac & cheese recipe that uses only 3 ingredients and takes 10 minutes to put together. This was my mother's mac & cheese recipe. It is my favorite comfort food that I have been making for my family for decades, especially on those nights when you just don't feel like cooking. I always keep cans of stewed tomatoes and a box of elbow macaroni in my pantry, and a block of cheddar cheese in the fridge as standby for this recipe, which my husband (who does not cook) now makes when I am away. The cheese melts into the tomato juices which are absorbed into the elbow macaroni.  For an extra tasty version, use a high quality English sharp cheddar cheese or a hard NY extra sharp cheddar- the kind that is hard and crumbly and sometimes has those little crystals in it. I buy a block of white imported English cheddar at Costco's that I use for this recipe. Aside from bringing back English cheddar from a trip to London or going to a specialty cheese store, this is the best cheddar I have found in the supermarket sections. This recipe makes enough for 4-5 people - and it's also really good reheated as leftovers!

Tomato Mac and Cheese

3/4 of a 1 pound box of elbow macaroni
2  14.5 oz cans of stewed tomatoes
10 oz of cheddar cheese (you can add even more cheese for an extra cheesy version)
Salt and pepper to taste (at least 1 tsp salt)

1. Cook and drain macaroni one minute less than instructed on the box.
2. Pour stewed tomatoes, with juice, into a large mixing bowl.
3. Using your hands, break up the tomatoes into smaller pieces (thirds or quarters suffice).
4. Cut cheddar into cubes (about 1 inch).
5. Stir cheddar cubes into tomatoes. Add macaroni and stir thoroughly until pasta is covered with tomato juice and cheese is distributed evenly.
6. Pour into a baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and the top of the macaroni is slightly browned.



Comments