This soup is a slow-cooker adaptation of a vegan stew from the Oh She Glows Vegan Food Blog, where I go to get good vegan recipes. I am not a vegan or vegetarian but am trying to transition to a more plant-based diet and incorporate anti-inflammatory ingredients like turmeric. I added chicken broth as it tends to be more flavorful than vegetable broth. If you want to keep it vegan or vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. This is a very flavorful soup and goes well with a nice crusty bread.
Butternut, Sweet Potato, and Red Lentil Soup
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup dried red lentils (they are really orange), rinsed
small bag of baby spinach, rinsed
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 14 oz can of light coconut milk
2 T olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
squirt of sriracha
pepper to taste
1 1/2 T of apple cider vinegar
1. Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and mix thoroughly.
2. Set slow cooker for 6 hours.
3. After 6 hours, stir in apple cider vinegar.
4. With an immersion blender, blend about half the soup to thicken (or blend half slightly in a blender and pour back in and stir).
5. Optional: Top with cilantro before serving.