Mayo-less Avocado-Egg Salad



I think I could write a cookbook just on avocado recipes. I love avocados and try to keep a stash of them in my kitchen at various stages of ripeness so there is always one ready to use. I had a craving for an egg salad sandwich at lunch today and decided to go mayonnaise-free and use mashed avocado for the oil and binder. It was the best egg salad ever!  If you avoid egg salad because you don't like mayonnaise (Amy and Chris!), I think you will love this version. You can certainly add whatever spices and chopped veggies you prefer, but my combination was perfection. By the way- roast a batch of sliced sweet red field peppers tossed in olive oil and keep them in my fridge for 2-3 weeks. They are so flavorful and can be used in so many ways. If you don't have roasted red peppers, you can use jarred pimientos, but they are not nearly as flavorful. I think you could also substitute pimiento stuffed green olives for kalamata and perhaps add in some chopped chive or cilantro. Serve it on a good whole grain bread with plenty of crunchy, crisp green lettuce. This recipe should make enough for about 4 sandwiches. Note: Make this fresh right before serving as avocado turns brown. Otherwise, add some lime or lemon juice to prevent browning.

Mayo-Less Avocado-Egg Salad

3 hard boiled eggs
1 ripe avocado
1/8 cup chopped celery
1/8 cup chopped red onion
10 chopped Kalamata olives
4-5 strips of chopped roasted red pepper (about 2 T)
salt and pepper
optional- crisp green lettuce leaves
Hearty whole grain bread

1. Mash the avocado in a bowl.
2. Chop the egg and add to bowl.
3. Add rest of ingredients, except for lettuce, and mix thoroughly.
4. Spread thickly on bread and top with lots of crispy lettuce.


Comments