"Tabouleh-ish" Barley Salad




Today I was going to make tabbouleh but I didn't have any bulghur wheat or mint on hand so I decided to try a different combination using quick cooking barley instead of bulghur wheat. Trader Joe's carries quick-cooking versions of several grains and I love their barley. It makes a nice chewy substitute for the bulghur and is attractive when plated. You could substitute wheat berries if you don't have barley- the texture will be similar. I decreased the tomato and and increased the cucumber for this "tabbouleh-ish" combination. It worked! (Makes about 4-5 servings)

"Tabouleh-ish" Barley Salad

1 cup cooked, drained barley
1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 cup finely diced cucumber
1/2 cup minced red onion
Juice of one fresh lemon
1 T of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy!




Comments