Mango-Avocado Salad

It must be Florida mango season. The mangos at my local food store were $1 each so I bought several. With Cinco de Mayo coming up, the avocados were also a good buy ($1 each). So- how can I use both mangos and avocados together? I recalled a recipe I saw on the Food Network during a Caribbean-themed show. With a bit of searching on their web site, I found it listed under Sunny Anderson.  I tweaked it a bit- made it to go with lunch today and it was fabulous! I was out of plain white balsamic vinegar so I used my white peach balsamic instead. I will definitely make this again while the mangos are ripe and in season.  It was delicious- a combination of the sweet mango, creamy avocado, and savory red onion. The following recipe makes enough for two. Buy more mangos and avocados if you need more servings.
Mango-Avocado Salad 

1 ripe mango, cut into cubes
1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes
1/4 red onion cut into thin slivers
1/2 T white balsamic vinegar (or a fruit flavored white balsamic), or use regular white vinegar sweetened with some sugar.
1/2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Put first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Whisk last 4 ingredients together; pour over mango, avocado, and onion, and toss.
3. Serve immediately or the avocado will turn brown.

Comments