Aunt Barb's Warm German Potato Salad


Memories of family cookouts: in the summer my mother would make a warm German potato salad for a family cookout. The recipe was passed on from her sister-in-law, my Aunt Barb, who made a unique version I haven't seen in cookbooks, that included cucumber. I still think this is the best warm German potato salad recipe I have ever tried. This year I used red, white, and blue potatoes for our 4th of July family dinner. The drawback is that it does contain bacon fat but I have cut back on the fat as much as I could to still maintain the flavor. Try this version- if you are a fan of German potato salad, I think you will enjoy this version!

Aunt Barb's Warm German Potato Salad

5 cups sliced potatoes, cooked
1 large (or 3 small) cucumber, thinly sliced
4 slices of bacon
2 medium onions sliced in rings
2 T flour
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar

1. Cook bacon until very crisp. drain and crumble, leaving bacon drippings in the pan.

2. Saute onion and cucumber in bacon drippings on medium heat for about one minute until slightly softened.

3. Blend in flour, sugar. salt, celery seed, and pepper. Add water and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened and bubbly. Once thickened, add the potatoes and crumbled bacon, tossing lightly to mix.

4. Serve warmed or at room temperature. Makes about 8-10 servings.

Comments