Dark Chocolate- Rhubarb Ghirardelli Brownies



Rhubarb is one of the first things I pick in my spring garden. Typically I make pies, muffins, kuchens, or jams from the rhubarb. This time I decided to do something different. Voila- brownies with rhubarb. Since applesauce adds moisture and fiber to brownies without changing the taste, I thought rhubarb might do the same. I opted to use a good brownie mix for this recipe. I think Ghirardelli makes the best brownie mix. I used their Dark Chocolate brownie mix and modified the adding of ingredients to the mix. This is what I came up with and it was superb- very moist, chocolatey, and perfectly textured! Next time I might make a warm rhubarb-strawberry compote to serve over the brownie.

Dark Chocolate- Rhubarb  Ghirardelli Brownies

1 cup of rhubarb (about 2 stalks)
2 T sugar
1/4 cup of water minus 1 T

1 box of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix
2 eggs
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup of plain yogurt
2 T water

1. Chop rhubarb into 1/2 inch piece (remove strings if stringy).
2. Put rhubarb in small saucepan. Add next 2 ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer until rhubarb is soft and mushy. Remove from heat and stir rhubarb with a spoon until it is a soft and mushy consistency.
3. Mix together eggs, cooking oil, yogurt, and water until smooth. Add brownie mix and stir until thoroughly mixed.
4. Spread into a greased 8 by 11 pan or 9 by 9.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Comments