Pimiento Cheese


Pimiento cheese: It's a Southern Thing is an NPR article I read recently that reminded me how much I enjoy pimiento cheese when I am in one of the southern states where it is as common spread for sandwiches, crackers, or celery. I first tried pimiento cheese when I was in South Carolina and loved it! A tub of pimiento cheese can be purchased in the cheese section in the supermarkets but it is not nearly as good as the fresh, homemade kind. I prefer mine without mayonnaise, and I like it chunky. After tinkering a bit, I came up with this blend. It's both  smooth and chunky, spreads nicely on bread, and has a nice bite.

Pimiento Cheese

1 8 oz package of sharp cheddar cheese
1/2  8 oz package of low fat cream cheese, softened
1 4 oz jar diced or sliced pimientos
couple dashes of salt

1. Put cream cheese in bowl and let soften.
2. When cream cheese is soft, finely grate 2/3 of the cheddar cheese into the bowl. Thoroughly mix the cream cheese and grated cheddar.
3.  Drain pimientos, reserving 1 teaspoon of liquid (if using sliced pimientos, dice into small pieces). Add pimientos and liquid to the cheese mixture and stir thoroughly until well mixed.
4. Cut remaining 3rd of cheese into tiny diced pieces. Stir diced cheese into pimiento cheese mixture. Makes about 1 cup of spread.

Spread on bread for open-faced sandwiches; substitute for cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich; spread on slices of baguette, crostini, or crackers for an appetizer; serve with bagels; stuff celery; the many ways to use delicious pimiento cheese are endless!




Comments