Kheer- Cranberry Version

Kheer is an Indian rice pudding traditionally made with coconut milk, cardamom, raisins, almonds, pistachios, and a hint of rose water. It is an essential dish at many Hindu celebrations and festivals. While I was in India last month, kheer was my favorite dessert. Furthermore, I am in love with cardamom- the queen of all spices! I brought back some fresh ground cardamom from the spice market in Jaipur. This weekend I had a "kheer craving" so I concocted my New England version of kheer by substituting dried cranberries for raisins and leaving out the rose water.  I also make it a lot thicker than the way it is served in India. If you are looking for a new twist on rice pudding with a nuttier texture and you love cardamom, try this delicious dessert!

Kheer- Cranberry Version

2 cups of coconut milk (I used 1 can of the reduced-fat kind)
3  cups of milk
5 T of white sugar
1 cup of basmati rice (I used brown basmati)
1/4 cup of dried cranberries (or use raisins if you prefer to make traditional kheer)
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup chopped pistachios

1. Bring coconut milk, milk, and sugar to a boil in a large saucepan (I like to use my enamel lined cast iron Dutch oven as it distributes the heat better and doesn't burn the milk at the bottom of the pan).
2. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Cover and continue simmering on low heat for another 15 minutes- check every 5 minutes and stir. If it thickens too quickly before rice is soft, add a little more milk.
4. Turn off heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes, allowing rice to steam and soften. Check to make sure rice is tender and creamy. Add more milk if necessary.
5. Stir in cardamom, cranberries, almonds, and pistachios. If pudding is too thick- add more milk to get the consistency you prefer. Pudding should be thick and creamy, not runny.
6. Serve warm in ramekins, parfait glasses, or however you prefer. Makes about 6 small servings.



Comments