Rhubarb Kuchen


I first made this kuchen when I was a newlywed (gosh- was that really over 30 years ago???) and I used to bake a lot of breads. It was in my Mother's old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I haven't made it in years. As I cut some rhubarb from the garden today, I decided it was time to make this again. I love it because it has a nice doughy bread texture but is served as a sweet bread/coffeecake. As a matter of fact, kuchen is a German word for cake. Hope you like this rhubarb recipe. I think I could write an entire cookbook on rhubarb recipes!

Rhubarb Kuchen


3 3/4 cup flour
1 pkg active yeast
1 cup milk
6 T butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 beaten egg yolk
1/3 cup light cream
3 cups thinly sliced rhubarb (about 1 lb)
Optional: 1 cup of walnut pieces

1. In large mixer bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and yeast.

2. In saucepan, heat milk, butter, and 1/3 cup of sugar, and salt until just warm (115-120 degrees). Stir thoroughly.

3. Add warm liquid to dry mix. Add eggs and beat at low speed for about a minute, scraping sides. Beat 3 minutes on high. Add remaining flour and mix by hand to make a moderately stiff dough.

4. Spread dough in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 45 min to 1 hour).

5. Stir together 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and cinnamon. Combine egg yolk and cream- add to sugar mixture stirring until blended. Add rhubarb (and optional walnuts) and carefully spoon mixture atop risen dough.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. Cut and serve warm. Will be a little gooey.

Comments