Lebanese Salad


Last night I had a craving for tabouli but I had no bulgar wheat or mint to make real Lebanese tabouli. So instead, I made an adaptation of tabouli which I will call Lebanese Salad. It has that nice lemony bite of tabouli with the added ingredient of romaine lettuce or any other type of dark green lettuce. I think you could even stir some cooked wheat berries into it for an added chewiness if you prefer. I used Trader Joe's heirloom baby tomatoes to make this version, but 2-3 medium size regular tomatoes should suffice. It was colorful, delicious and I think I like it better than regular tabouli!

Lebanese Salad
1 small head of romaine lettuce (or about 8 large leaves)
1 bunch of parsley
2-3 medium tomatoes
1/2 red onion
1 or 2 small English or Persian cucumbers (or pickling cucs)
3 T of fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2 small lemons)
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Finely chop the romaine leaves and put into a mixing bowl.
2. Finely chop the parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion and add to the mixing bowl.
3. Squeeze juice out of lemon and measure 3 T. Put in small bowl and add 2 T of olive oil and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
4. Pour over salad veggies and toss until well coated with lemon-oil dressing. Add more lemon juice if desired.

Comments