Grapefruit-Jicama Salad


Oh my- I just made a batch of this and seriously- it is the best salad I have ever tasted- sweet, salty, sour, and spicy all in one bite, and pretty, too! I first saw a version of this (which I modified slightly) on the Dr. Oz Show. Cat Cora made it. It was called Flat Belly Salad- full of anti-oxidants and fat burning ingredients. I particularly love the dressing as the fish sauce gives it that saltiness, the jalapeno some spice, and the brown sugar provides the sweetness. Coupled with the tartness of the lime and the grapefruit in the salad, 4 flavors in a 1-2-3-4 punch! And I'm becoming more and more fond of jicama (pronounced hee-ca- ma). And the pistachios give it a nice flavor and crunch. This batch makes enough for about 5-6 servings. You can buy fish sauce in the Thai section of your supermarket. It's sometimes called Thai Seasoning but make sure it says fish sauce on the side. I use a box shredder to shred the carrot and jicama so it still has some firm texture. This is a great salad for dieters (no oil) but everyone will love it as it is so tasty! If you make this, please leave a comment below and let me know what you thought of it. Definitely a recipe to share with others!

Grapefruit- Jicama Salad

Salad:
3 ruby red grapefruits- sectioned and cut into pieces
2 large carrots, shredded
1 jicama (about 3/4 lb), peeled and shredded
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup pistachio nut halves (I buy mine at Trader Joe's)

Dressing:
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
3 T fresh lime juice (1 large juicy lime or 2 small ones)
1 T brown sugar
1.5 T fish sauce
1/8 tsp very finely minced jalapeno pepper

1. Whisk all the dressing ingredients together
2. Mix all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Pour on dressing and toss thoroughly.
4. Serve at room temperature (can keep leftovers in fridge for next day)

Comments

  1. I look forward to trying this! Hey -- you are getting quite good with food photography.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment