Golden Coconut-Peanut Butter Macaroons


I've dabbled around trying different macaroon flavors but this one is my favorite. If you like coconut macaroons, the added peanut butter gives them and extra yummy taste and a slightly golden color. One of my co-workers, Melissa, is leaving MMSA. Tomorrow is her last day in the office so I decided to make these cookies to thank her for all her hard work. You can use any standard macaroon recipe and add about 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of peanut butter or use my recipe below. I like my macaroons chewy and soft in the center. If you like a firmer macaroon, you may bake them longer.

Golden Coconut-Peanut Macaroons

3 cups shredded or flaked coconut
2/3 cup sugar
4 T flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c peanut butter
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

1. Mix together all the dry ingredients.
2. With a pastry cutter, cut peanut butter into dry mixture until well mixed.
3. Beat egg whites until they just start to become stiff but still frothy.
4. Fold in egg whites and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
5. Mound in heaping tablespoons (or use cookie scoop) on parchment paper (or a greased cookie sheet).
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until nicely browned on top.
7. Remove and let cool for a few minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

Makes about 24 macaroons.

Comments