Forager's Spring Pasta


One of my favorite Maine spring veggies are fiddleheads. They are usually available for about 3 weeks in May. They are the unfurled, coiled leaves of the ostrich fern and are usually found along the banks of streams. I usually steam them and then toss them with either balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. I think they taste a lot like spinach. Another spring delicacy are ramps (wild leeks)- they taste like a cross between an onion and garlic and are very flavorful. They have a white bulb (sometimes with a touch of purple) like a scallion but beautiful broad flat leaves that edible. You can find them in damp areas in the woods or near streams. You can use them raw as you would scallions or cooked as you would use leeks. You can also chop and use the leaves. They are only availble in early May for about 1-2 weeks. And then there are dandelion greens- that weed pest I am always pulingl out of my garden. I steam them as I would any green. They are a bit on the bitter side. So yesterday I stopped at Whole Foods and bought all 3 wild foraged veggies. Instead of cooking them separately, I decided to try and use them all together. So, I came up with "Spring Forager's Pasta" as a side dish I served with grilled salmon last night. You can use any shape pasta- I used an artisan fusilli lunghi.

Spring Forager's Pasta

5 dandelion leaves
5 ramps
dozen fiddleheads
3 T olive oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 c freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz any type of pasta (orreciati, bows, etc.)

1. Chop all veggies into small pieces (including leaves of the ramps).
2. Cook pasta and set aside.
3. In deep skillet or wok pan, saute fiddleheads in 2 T olive oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add ramps and saute an additional 3 minutes. Add dandelion greens an additional 1 minute.
4. Add pasta to pan, additional olive oil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and toss thoroughly to mix. Add cheese and toss again before serving.

Comments