Trader Joe's Red Curry with Forbidden Rice


For years I had filled out the online survey to bring Trader Joe's to Maine and it's now here! Yay! Portland Trader Joe's opened this fall. It's a few blocks from Whole Foods and easy to get to off the Franklin Street exit. Trader Joe's is my favorite foodie store that by far, trumps Whole Foods with their super low prices. I used to stop and stock up at the one in Peabody, MA when driving back from Boston on I-95. Now I stop at the Portland Trader Joe's every chance I get. They have great recipes on their web site too!

Their red curry simmer sauce is fabulous. I don't bother to make my curry from scratch when I have this sauce. The other fabulous ingredient is Forbidden Rice. This is a purple rice from China that is not only very attractive, but full of good nutrients and imparts a nice nutty texture. I buy Lotus brand Forbidden Rice at Hannaford in the natural foods section (they also carry my other favorite- Buhtanese red rice). If you don't have it at your grocery store, you can order this rice as well as other exotic rices from Lotus Foods on line.

Here's my recipe for chicken curry. Vegetarians can substitute tofu. It's quick, easy, and delicious!

Trader Joe's Red Curry with Forbidden Rice

1 jar of Trader Joe's Curry Simmer Sauce (the red sauce)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped,
1 large onion, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, cooked until just soft, and cubed
1/2 cup raisins (I use golden raisins)
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
1 T vegetable oil
1 cup forbidden rice

1. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add onions and peppers and continue to saute until veggies are slightly soft.
2. Add curry simmer sauce and raisins, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile cook rice as directed. Just before water is almost fully absorbed, remove from heat and let rice steam inside the covered pot for 10 minutes. It should be a nice nutty texture when done.
4. Add sweet potatoes and simmer for 5 more minutes.
5. Stir in rice and enjoy! Makes about 6 servings.

Comments