Garbanzo Bean (Chickpea) and Spinach Curry


This is one of my favorite curry recipes- passed on to me from my son Chris who loves to cook. Last night I came home after a long day at an MMSA conference. I was too tired to prepare dinner and had a sore throat and nagging cough. So being the wonderful son he is, Chris made me dinner. He prepared this delicious curry which he introduced me to last month and I fell in love with it! His version is a lower calorie, healthier adaptation of the one at: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/chickpea-spinach-curry/. Vegetarians can substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock. His version is so thick you can eat it as is or add some light cream to make a sauce and serve over rice (but then you add the calories!). I hope you enjoy his recipe as much as I do!

Garbanzo Bean and Spinach Curry

2 T olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
3 T flour
3 T curry powder (or more if you prefer)
1.5 cup of chicken stock (preferably made with Better than Bouillon paste)
2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 bag of washed baby spinach (or 2 cups loosely chopped spinach)
1/2 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
salt and pepper

1. Saute onion in olive oil. Add garlic and apple and cook over low heat until apples are soft.
2. Combine flour and curry powder and stir into onion/apple mixture. Cook a few minutes, stirring to make a thick paste.
3. Gradually add stock, garbanzos and spinach, stirring over medium heat until thickened. Add more stock if necessary.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add raisins or cranberries. Cook a bit longer to blend in raisins.

Comments

  1. This sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment