Pecan Crusted Bacon


This bacon is sure to make your holiday breakfast extra special! I tried this bacon when I was in Bar Harbor this fall. My friend Barb and I had breakfast at a lovely little country French bed and breakfast called the Ivy Manor http://www.ivymanor.com/. Along with the brioche French toast, we both ordered their pecan crusted bacon, and we were in bacon heaven! I asked the Innkeeper how they prepared the bacon. She graciously described the steps and I tucked it away in my recipe memory bank until this morning. Amy and Nate are up visiting us from Providence, Rhode Island so I decided to give it a test run along with my jam stuffed Danish Ebelskiver pancakes (more on this another time!). I want to prepare this for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving, so I thought I had better try it first and see how it comes out. It was fabulous! Here is my version of the steps in creating this fabulous bacon side dish - you only need 3 ingredients. The sugar caramelizes into the bacon and the pecans give it crunch and a special flavor.

Pecan Crusted Bacon

1 package of thick cut bacon
about a 1/4 cup brown sugar
about 1/4 cup of finely chopped/grated pecans (grind with mortar and pestle or finely chop in food processor)
parchment paper (in baking section of your supermarket)

1. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Spread bacon slices out on the paper.
3. Sprinkle brown sugar lightly over the bacon.
4. Sprinkle chopped pecans over the sugar.
5. Use your fingers to press the brown sugar and pecans into the bacon.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes. Keep checking to make sure it is not baking too fast or the pecans are not burning. Reduce oven temperature if necessary. When it seems to be about 2/3 crisped, remove from oven.
7. Line another baking tray with parchment paper. Transfer the bacon strips to the new sheet of paper. Put back in oven for about another 5 minutes until it is crispy. Monitor the time in case you need more or less baking time.
8. Remove with tongs and drain on paper towels.
9. Serve right away,

Comments