Tac-yros


Tac-yros- A Cross Between a Taco and a Gyro

Tonight I tried making a hybrid of a taco and a gyro and it was fabulous! I don't know what to call it so I'll name it "Tac-yro." The taco part comes from using flour tortillas (fajita size) and avocado and the gyro comes from using tzatziki sauce. First you need a good flour tortilla. Since we can't get freshly made tortillas here on the east coast, I buy the Mission brand- The Restaurant Style ones that are thicker, softer, and have the grill marks on them. They steam up nicely and are easy to fold. I took some sliced chicken that came off the grill and placed it inside my warm tortilla. I then added matchstick carrots, matchstick green and red peppers, minced red onion, some shredded lettuce, and some sliced avocado. Then I topped it off with tzatziki sauce using English cucumbers from my garden. It was fabulous and so healthy! I think next time I will make this with grilled meatloaf as the gyro meat substitute or grilled shrimp.

My tzatziki sauce recipe (I didn't put the dill in this time) is at: http://keeleycuisine.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-to-do-with-all-these-cucumbers.html

I think this would be even better if I used my lemon-yogurt marinated grilled chicken: http://keeleycuisine.blogspot.com/2010/07/tangy-grilled-chicken-kebobs.html

Comments