Cilantro Vinaigrette



My herb garden has a robust patch of cilantro. I love cilantro. I think it is one of those tastes that you acquire over time. The first time I tried it was over 30 years ago in a salsa in Arizona. Cilantro was relatively unknown on the east coast decades ago and was used primarily in Mexican dishes. I didn't care for the taste back then- thought it tasted like soap. Today, I use it in many dishes. One of my favorite uses of cilantro is in salad dressing- cilantro vinaigrette. My cilantro vinaigrette is a bit thicker than the recipes you will find on line and in cookbooks. It's almost like a runny pesto. I like it this way as I toss it with chopped vegetables, pour it over sliced tomatoes and mozzarella, add it to potato salad, toss it with cold, sliced chicken, and a multitude of other uses. It's so delicious I could practically eat it with a spoon!

Cilantro Vinaigrette

1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves (remove any stem parts below the leaf bracts)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp dry mustard

Optional: Cut vinegar back to 1/4 cup and add juice of a fresh squeezed lime for lime-cilantro vinaigrette

Toss all ingredients into your food processor and pulse until mixed thoroughly. Add more vinegar to thin if needed.

Comments