Carrot Ribbon Salad


Happy 4th of July! This cool, healthy, and refreshing summer salad is based on a dilled carrot salad I used to make with sliced carrots. Instead of slicing the carrots, this time I used ribbon parings and added a bit of chopped chives (optional). I love the texture of this salad. It's even better when made with fresh-picked carrots out of the garden. I may have to wait a few more weeks for that, but in the meantime, my herb garden is bursting with dill!

Carrot Ribbon Salad

6-8 medium size carrots
3 T of champagne vinegar (or any white vinegar)
1 t sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 T chopped fresh dillweed (I suppose the dried dillweed would work too)
2-3 stems of snipped chives (optional)

1. Peel carrots and cut in half. Use a peeler to pare carrots into ribbon-like pieces.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt. Pour over carrots and toss gently. (Do this fairly soon after peeling the carrots so they don't turn brown.)
3. Add the dill and optional chives. Toss thoroughly. Serve immediately or chill for later.

This makes about 4 servings. Increase the number of carrots for additional servings.

Comments