Shanghai Cucumbers


Cool as a cucumber with a hint of red pepper- Shanghai cucumbers! My recipe is a modified version of the PF Chang Shanghai cucumbers. I often make these in the summer when I have an abundance of cuc's in my garden. Too early to harvest my cuc's yet but since today is our monthly staff meeting, I made these for our potluck lunch since they are quick and easy to throw together in a pinch. They are cool, crispy, salty, sweet, and spicy- definitely a taste bud activator!

Shanghai Cucumbers


6-8 baby English cucumbers, sliced
1/4 medium onion, sliced in paper thin strips (preferably a sweet onion, like Vidalia)
3 T rice vinegar (white vinegar will do)
1/2 T sesame oil
1 garlic clove, finely grated
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 t salt
1 t sugar
Optional: sprinkle with sesame seeds

Mix all ingredients together and chill before serving.

Comments