Fruit Explosion Salad!


My sons came up to Maine for the weekend. They have been fruit lovers since the time they were babies so I made their favorite fruit salad - I call it a fruit explosion salad. It's as if a fruit bomb exploded on your taste buds. I use a variety of fresh fruits of different colors and textures, including dried fruit (but Nate noticed I forgot to include the dried cherries yesterday and Chris doesn't like the chopped fresh mint). I'm heavy on berries because of their anti-oxidant quality. I avoid cantelope, honeydew, apples, grapes, and bananas in my fruit salad, but you can add them if you wish. The following is an approximation of my recipe- you can add more or less fruit as you like as well as add others such as papaya, plums, pears, and Asian pears. Fresh fruit (not canned or already cut up at the supermarket) is a must! It makes about 8-10 servings.

Fruit Explosion Salad

1 pint of strawberries, quartered
1 pint of blueberries
1/2 cup raspberries
1 mango, chopped into pieces
1 cup of fresh cherries, pitted and cut in half (I used Rainier cherries but red are fine too)
3 peaches, leave skins on and cut into pieces (or substitute with nectarines)
2 navel oranges, cut into sections and squeeze some extra juice in so the citric acid will prevent the peaches from browning.)
2 kiwis, peeled and cut into pieces
1/2 fresh pineapple, cored and cut into pieces
2 cups of seedless watermelon, cut into pieces
Optional: 1/2 cup dried cherries or chopped dried apricots
Optional: 1 T minced fresh mint
Optional: 1/4 cup slivered almonds
Optional: Zest the skin of one of the oranges or a lemon and toss with the fruit

Toss all the fruits together and enjoy!

Comments