Trio of Fresh Salsas



Tonight I will serve three different fresh salsas to go with our "Latina Nuevo" dishes at our dinner party. I made the salsas in advance so the flavors will have time to develop. Each salsa adds a unique accent to the shrimp, beef, pork, or chicken dishes or is just as good dipping chips into. I am also very picky about my tortilla chips. I like to use the kind that are as similar to the freshly made ones in Mexican restaurants. Here in Maine I found a brand called Xochitl in the organic foods section. They are made in Dallas, Texas so I bet you can find them in a supermarket near you.

Salsa Verde (Tomatillo Salsa)

6 medium size tomatillos
1/2 medium yellow onion
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
1 finely minced jalapeno pepper (remove seeds and ribbing to cut down on hotness)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Chop up the tomatillos (take husks off first!) and yellow onions in a food processor or finely mince by hand. Simmer on the stove for about 10 minutes, until the tomatillos are soft and cooked down.
2. Remove from heat and cool. When cool, stir in red onion, garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly and chill.

Mango Salsa

1 ripe mango (but still firm)
2 medium size pickling cucumbers
1/2 red onion
1/4 cup cilantro

1. Peel and dice mango slices into small pieces.
2. Peel, scoop out seeds, and dice cuc's into small pieces.
3. Add minced red onion and cilantro. Add salt to taste. mix together and chill until serving time.

Salsa Roja (Red Salsa)

Ordinarily I would make my red salsa from scratch using my garden tomatoes. However, this time I used a salsa as a base from a well known Maine and NH Mexican restaurant called Margarita's. They sell their fresh, homemade salsa in the supermarket deli section and it is the best! I used this as my starting base and added chopped scallions and diced green pepper.

Comments