Tres Leche Cake with Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote


I first tried tres leche cake on a family vacation in Costa Rica. Tres leche means 3 milks in Spanish. It is a milk cake, very popular in Latin cuisine. It was so delicious, I bought a Costa Rican cookbook so I could make it when I got home. Subsequently I found many recipes on the web and in my cookbooks, and have increasingly encountered it as a dessert option in Mexican restaurants. It's so easy to make and you can serve it plain with whipped cream or top it with a fruit compote as I did, since I have a lot of rhubarb in my garden. I think a blueberry topping would be divine. When you serve the cake, be sure to save some of the milk to pour a small amount onto the plate- place the slice of cake on top of the pool of milk (I forgot to do this when I took the photo). You can also mix some rum into the milk mixture for added flavor.
Tres Leche Cake

1 yellow cake baked in a 13 by 9 inch pan (make from scratch or use a prepared mix)
1 cup condensed milk
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk
Optional: Fruit compote for topping

1. Bake the yellow cake and let cool in the pan. Take a skewer and poke holes through the top of the cake to the bottom. Poke many holes, about 1/2 inch apart.

2. Pour the milk slowly over the top of the cake and let it seep into the cake through the holes. (Save about 1/2 cup of the milk mixture to pour onto the dessert plates before serving the cake.)

3. The cake will soaked with the milk. Place cake in refrigerator to chill and set.

4. Optional: Make a fruit compote of your choosing to spoon over the cake when serving.

5. To serve, cut cake in squares. Place a small pool of milk on the bottom of the dessert plate. Place cake square on top. Top off with compote, whipped cream, slivered almonds, or leave plain.

Comments