Rhubarb Berry Crisp



I have so much rhubarb in my garden this year. I'm not normally a dessert maker, but I can't resist a delicious rhubarb crisp. I also had some frozen Maine blueberries (picked from my back field) and frozen raspberries in the freezer so I decided I would make a rhubarb-berry version of my traditional rhubarb crisp. The blend of tart rhubarb and the berries was perfect! I also like to use sweetened sour cream as a topping, rather than whipped cream.

Rhubarb-Berry Crisp

Filling:
6-7 medium thickness stalks of rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces (more for thin pieces, less for thick)
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
3 T cornstarch
1 cup sugar

Topping:
1 cup rolled oats (the quick cooking kind)
1 cup whole wheat flour (or white flour if you prefer)
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
Optional: chopped pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts
Optional: Whipped topping, sour cream sweetened with sugar, or vanilla ice cream

1. Combine filling ingredients (stir together to coat with cornstarch) and place in baking pan (13 by 9 is a good size)
2. Combine topping ingredients and layer over the top of fruit
3. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until bubbly and crisp on top. Serve while warm.
4. Optional: Top with whipped cream or sweetened sour cream, or vanilla ice cream.

Comments