Honey-Chipotle Pulled Pork Empanadas


Empanadas are Spanish pastries stuffed with meat. I had my first empanadas when I visited my brother in Chile many years ago. Those empanadas were stuffed with a razor clam mixture and they were delicioso! I have since tried many different types of empanadas, including some that were in a little empanada pastry shop in DC which I wish I could remember it's name. My boys love pulled pork sandwiches so my empanadas are a version of pulled pork- Spanish style! You can use any BBQ sauce, including off the shelf brands (Baby Ray's is my favorite) but to give it a Southwest flavor, I used a Honey-Chipotle recipe. The small empanadas make great appetizers but can also be a meal if you make larger pastries.

Honey-Chipotle Pulled Pork Empanadas

1 pork tenderloin- cut in 3 sections and simmer on stove top in covered pan with small amount of water for 2 hours or until pork pulls apart.
1 large yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
2 packages of crescent roll dough (or make your own dough from scratch)
Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce (1 jar of Baby Ray's or make your own from the recipe below)
Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 3 T of water
Optional: sesame seeds

Mix the BBQ sauce into cooked pulled pork, Add the onion rings. Simmer until onions are softened. Add cider vinegar if more liquid is needed. Spoon mixture into dough circles, fold over and crimp. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top (optional). Bake at temperature required for the dough you use (375 degrees for 15 minutes for crescent roll dough).

Honey-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
1 c ketchup
1 can finely chopped chipotles
1/2 cup minced onion
3 T honey
1 T vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 T Worcestershire
3 cloves minced garlic

1. Saute onion in oil and add garlic just as onions soften.
2. Add chipotles and saute, stirring, on low heat for about 3 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until desired consistency.

Comments