Grilled Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers



I was in a kitchen store in Florida this past winter and saw this really nifty jalapeno pepper holder for grilling jalapeno peppers. I bought one and tucked it away in my pantry. Lo and behold, when I took it out this weekend to use it, I didn't realize it also came with a jalapeno pepper corer. I had just purchased one last week at Williams and Sonoma in anticipation of making grilled, stuffed jalapenos for an appetizer at my diner party this weekend. So- if you buy a jalapeno pepper grilling tray- check first to see if it comes with a corer! The corer is really nice as it scoops out all the seeds and ribbing, leaving you with just the pepper. The seeds and ribbing are the parts that contain capsaicin, a capsaicinoid compound that gives chili peppers their fiery hotness. When you remove the seeds and the ribs, the jalapeno is actually quite mild.

Stuffing and Grilling the Jalapeno Peppers

I made my grilled peppers by cutting off the tops, scooping out the insides and rinsing out any remaining seeds. Then I took shredded cheddar cheese and some minced pimientos. Mixed them together, and filled each pepper with the cheese/pimiento mixture, packing it down into the pepper until it was even with the top. I put the peppers in the holder and grilled them on my gas grill on high, with the top closed, for about 10 minutes or until the peppers were charred and the cheese was bubbly. They need to cool for about 5 minutes before taking them off the rack to serve. Beware, they tend to squirt when you bite into them! I think you could try a variety of other fillings. The package the grill rack came in recommended inserting a smoked almond and a rectangular block of cheese into each pepper. I think I will try that next time!

Comments