Faux PF Chang Orange Peel Shrimp


Whenever I go to PF Chang's, I always order the orange peel shrimp. Tonight I decided to see if I could duplicate the recipe. It was close! I think I may have added too much chili paste so next time, I will cut back a bit. Here's my version of this delicious orange peel-garlic- chili sauce. Add cooked shrimp and serve over rice or soba noodles with a side of edamame sprinkled with sea salt!

Orange Peel-Garlic-Chili Sauce

1 large navel orange
2 cloves garlic
2 T vegetable oil (I used canola)
1/2 cup catsup
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 T chili paste (in Thai section or use Siracha sauce)
1 t brown sugar
1/2 T cornstarch

1. Finely grate garlic using a microplaner. Add to sauce pan with the oil.
2. Finely grate, with the microplaner, half of the orange skin. Be sure to avoid the bitter white pith and only grate the orange peel. Add to garlic and oil in the pan and stir. Add green onion.
3. Zest remaining peel into long, thin strips and add to sauce pan. Cut orange in half and squeeze out all the juice into the pan.
4. Add catsup and brown sugar.
5. Heat to bubbling and simmer, stirring for about 3 minutes. Add half the chili paste and cornstarch and stir until thickened. Test for spiciness. Add rest of chili paste if you want it spicier.


Faux PF Chang Orange Peel Shrimp

Peel shells of 3/4 to 1 lb of medium size raw shrimp. Butterfly the shrimp by slicing down the back until almost sliced in half. Saute or grill shrimp until cooked through. Add cooked shrimp to orange peel sauce, heat and stir until bubbly. Serve over soba noodles (buckwheat noodles) or brown rice. Edamame (in the freezer section at Whole Foods), steamed and sprinkled with sea salt makes a nice side dish!

Comments