Fabulous Paninis!




Marli and Chris gave me a panini press for Xmas this year. I love paninis and have had a lot of fun concocting interesting panini recipes. Today was a work at home day which means I can make a good lunch. David is home too, so I decided this was a good day a panini lunch. The key to a good panini is to make sure you you use a good crusty bread, such as the artisan breads at Whole Foods. In Maine I use When Pigs Fly or Borealis Breads. I looked to see what ingredients I had on hand and came up with this winning combination. It was delish! As a matter of fact, I think I will create a panini category on this blog and continue to share more panini recipes!

Shrimp, Roasted Pepper, and Carmelized Onion Panini

4 slices of bread
olive oil
3slices of swiss cheese
fire roasted red pepper
carmelized onions
5 jumbo shrimp

1. Cook shrimp and cool.
2. Brush olive oil lightly on the tops of the bread.
3. Cut swiss in half and place 2 halves on the bread, olive oil face down.
4. Cut the shrimp into 2 halves, right down the split back. Place the flat sides down on top of the cheese (5 halves per sandwich).
5. Add a layer of carmelized onion (I make a big batch of carmelized onion and freeze in small bags to use whenever a recipe calls for it.)
5. Add a layer of roasted red pepper (you can get the whole ones in the Italian or Spanish section of the supermarket- cut them up in pieces to layer on the sandwich).
6. Place an additional 1/2 of swiss on top of the pepers.
7. Place in the preheated panini press, press down, and grill until done.

Comments