Pretzel Baguettes



The Whole Foods up the street from the NSTA office in Arlington, VA has wonderful pretzel baguettes. I used to go up there and grab a baguette, soup, and salad when I felt like staying in my hotel room for dinner so I could get some work done. I looked for pretzel baguettes in the Portland, ME Whole Foods store. I didn't see any and when I asked if they had them, they said don't bake them for the Portland store. Well, I told the bread manager they should start baking them! So - I bought some yeast and decided to try and make my own today. I looked for a soft pretzel recipe and changed it by brushing the top with egg white instead of egg yolk. I must say, they were just as good, if not better than the ones Whole Foods makes. Paired with my favorite cheese, Parrano (an aged gouda), it makes a perfect snack. Since I made 2 baguettes, maybe I'll take one to the office tomorrow.

Pretzel Baguetttes

3 cups flour
1 pkg yeast
1 c warm water
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1 egg white
sea salt

Stir yeast into warm water until it dissolves. Add all other ingredients except for last 2. Knead until smooth 5-10 minutes. Put in bowl, cover, and keep in a warm place until the dough rises to about double its size. Divide into two pieces and shape into baguettes. Brush with egg white mixed with water and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Cut gashes into the dough. Line baking pan with parchment paper (or grease it) and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Serve with a good cheese like Parrano or a variety of artisan cheeses.

Comments

  1. Wow! I'm having a glass of merlot and wish I had one of these to go with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment