Lentil-Swiss Chard Soup


Lentil-Swiss Chard Soup

Today was the perfect day for a bowl of soup. Yesterday I picked up some rainbow Swiss chard at Whole Foods on my way home from the airport. Rainbow chard has 5 different colored stems- golden-orange, bright red, yellow, light pink, and a light green. The ANDI (Aggregate Nutrient Density Index) score of Swiss chard is very high- 670 out of 1,000. I have been trying to incorporate more high ANDI foods into my recipes lately. I picked through my cabinets and produce to see what else I might concoct for my soup craving. I had some orange lentils, stewed tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots, and of course my favorite ingredient- Chicken Better than Bouillon (BTB) paste. So I chopped up the veggies including the stems and leaves of the chard, added the can of stewed tomatoes, about a quart of water, about a cup of lentils, a pinch of thyme and marjoram, a squirt of Srirachi sauce, some ground pepper, about 3 spoonfuls of BTB and let it simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils were softened. It was heavenly! You can adapt this with kale, beet greens, collard greens, or any type of greens. I don't use a set recipe- just add what you have, season to taste, and enjoy!

Comments

  1. Made this last night. We all enjoyed it. Waiting for the fish sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment