Hot Turkey Sandwiches- Louisville, Kentucky Style!


We always make hot turkey sandwiches with our Thanksgiving leftovers. Last month I was a speaker at a conference in Kentucky. My hosts took me to a DaSha's Restaurant and introduced me to the "Kentucky Hot Brown"- a dish made famous by the Brown Hotel, in Louisville, KY. One of my favorite cooking things to do is try and duplicate interesting dishes I order in restaurants. I made these last night- delicious but not for those who are cholesterol conscious. Here is my adaptation of the Brown Hotel's recipe (click on the photo above to enlarge):

Preparation and ingredients for 4 "Kentucky Hot Brown" sandwiches:
1) prepare the Mornay sauce
2) saute bacon crisps (I cut up 6 slices of bacon into 1 inch pieces and cooked until crispy)
3) toast the bread until just crisp- don't overtoast (I like a nice sourdough, sliced thick)
4) slice the turkey
5) slice a tomoato
6) grate 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese


Mornay Sauce:
I basically make about 2 cups of white sauce, add about 1/4 cup of grated parmesan or romano cheese and a couple splashes of white wine (optional). Add more milk if the sauce is too thick.

The Sandwich
1. Place the 4 slices of toast in a baking pan.
2. Place sliced turkey breast on top of the toast
3. Cover turkey completely with mornay sauce.
4. Sprinkle bacon crisps over mornay sauce.
5. Cover with a layer of cheddar cheeses.
6. Place a tomato slice or two on top of each sandwich.

Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve while hot and enjoy!

Comments