Wood Ear Fungus- From Compressed to Voluminous!




While I was in China, I bought several boxes of the black wood ear fungus to use in my Chinese dishes. I love the texture and color of this fungus. There are many ways you can use it in Asian dishes. You can buy these dried fungi in the U.S. Asian specialty markets, but the ones I bought in China were really cool! They were compressed black wood ear fungi. They come in a teeny little package- about a 1 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch, by 1/4 inch dried, compressed block. You put it in a dish with warm water and WOW! In ten minutes the volume has increased enormously! I didn't realize it would yield so much. I must have a cup and a half of wood ear fungus! See the before and after pictures! I guess next time I will just break off a little piece and soak that.

Comments