What to Do with All Those Chinese Eggplants?



My family loves eggplant (except for Chris). We grow the long, thin, Chinese eggplants in our garden. This year we had a pretty good harvest, although it came late. There are still lots of little buds of eggplants forming but I'm afraid the cool, fall weather will delay their development. Whenever I go to a Chinese or Thai restaurant, I always look for eggplant in garlic sauce, but I also make my own. This is an easy recipe and sure to please eggplant lovers in your family! You can also add shrimp, scallops, pork, chicken, or tofu to the recipe. I also added black wood ear fungi that I brought back from China.

Chinese Eggplant in Garlic Sauce

6-8 Chinese eggplants
1 large onion, cut into wedges
2 T vegetable oil
1 T salt
chopped scallions (optional)
Chinese Garlic Sauce (see my recipe on this blog)

1. Chop the eggplants into 1 inch pieces.
2. Toss with salt and let set for 30 minutes. Drain any water that soaks out of the eggplant and rinse eggplant. (Salting it first allows the bitter juices to seep out).
3. Heat oil in deep skillet or wok pan on high heat.
4. Place eggplant and onion in skillet and stir fry until tender under med-high heat (about 5 minutes).
5. Add Chinese garlic sauce and continue stir frying for another minute or until all veggies are well coated with sauce.
6. Serve with scallions sprinkled on top (optional).

Makes about 4 servings.

Comments