What to Do with All Those Carrots?



My garden is full of carrots. A carrot freshly pulled out of the garden tastes so sweet compared to store bought carrots. I can usually leave my carrots in the ground, covered with leaves until November when the ground starts to freeze solid. Below is my recipe for a carrot risotto. I love making risottos- they are a favorite of my husband, David. I always make sure I have a good arborio rice on hand in my pantry as risottos are something you can make with a variety of ingredients. The key to making a good risotto is adding the liquid gradually and stirring a lot. The stirring releases the starches which is what makes risotto so thick and creamy. It's also impotant to use a good, robust chicken stock which is why I use Better than Bouillon paste rather than canned stock or bouillon cubes.

Carmelized Carrot Risotto

1 1/2 cups of arborio rice (look for the short grained, Italian kind)
2 medium carrots- finely diced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp finely minced parsley
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3 cups chicken broth (I always make mine with Better than Boouillon paste and add a bit more than the directions for a really full broth flavor)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan and add the rice. Saute the rice in the olive oil for a few minutes. Don't let it get brown.
2. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and bring to a boil then turn down heat to simmer. Keep stirring the rice and broth until the liquid is almost absorbed, then add another 1/2 cup. Keep doing this until you use up all the broth. It usually takes about a full 45 minutes of cooking and stirring. Add more water if necessary
3. In the meantime, saute finally diced carrot and onion in the butter. Add sugar. Carrots and onion should be cooked until soft and carmelized.
4. Check to see that rice is cooked. It should be thick and creamy, and just slightly al dente. Add more water if necessary. Add parmesan and stir thoroughly. Add more parmesan to taste if you like it to be cheesier.
5. Add carrots and onions and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir and let rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
7. Spoon servings or mold into a small ramekin dish or cup (which is what I usually do) and tap lightly to release it to make little "risotto cakes" as a side dish.

Comments

  1. mmm... I love risotto. We'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment