What to Do With All These Cucumbers?



Today I picked several baskets full of cucumbers. Although the constant June rain rotted out several of my plants, the cucumber harvest was pretty good this year. Unfortunately, my English cuc's were most affected by the rain. So what am I going to do with all these cuc's? Tonight I made a batch of one of my favorite summer cool and creamy sauces- tzatziki sauce- you probably know it as the yummy sauce they put on Greek gyros or souvlaki. I put tzatziki sauce on all kinds of things- grilled shrimp, grilled scallops, chicken, my "mock gyro" sandwich which I make with sliced meatloaf, or just use it as a dip with veggies. It's delicious, healthy, and quite versatile. The hint to making good tzatziki sauce is using Greek yogurt- Oikos and Brown Cow are my 2 favorite brands. Greek yogurt is so much thicker and creamier than regular yogurt. If you do use regular yogurt, try to drain as much of the water out as possible. Here's my recipe:

Tzatziki Sauce

1 large cucumber or two smaller cuc's
1 large clove of fresh garlic. or 2 medium cloves
1 tsp of fresh chopped dillweed, or more if you prefer
1 small container of plain Greek yogurt (Brown Cow comes in 5.3 oz containers)
Salt

1. Peel cuc close to the skin so some of the green color shows (if using English cuc's, no need to peel them).
2. Slice in half longitudinally and scoop out the seeds.
3. Slice into thin strips and then dice so the cuc is chopped into tiny, diced pieces.
4. Put chopped cuc in dish and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to draw out the water so your sauce won't be watery when you mix the cuc's with the yogurt.
5. After 30 minutes, drain the diced cuc's and squeeze on a paper towel to get more water out.
6. Stir cuc's into yogurt, add dill weed and stir.
7. Press garlic clove in garlic press or zest with a microplaner so you have juicy, grated garlic. Add to yogurt mix and stir.
8. Let flavor develop for 30 minutes before serving. This makes about 3/4 cup of tzatziki sauce.

Comments

  1. I LOVE Tzatziki sauce!!!!
    its so random with the yogurt ahahhah

    btw i have an AMAZING cucumber recipe: its stuffed canneloni or something...i will post it on here for you once i find it!!!!!

    BARB=]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment