Fresh Curried Corn Soup


Today is a cool, rainy day so I decided to make some soup. The farm stand down the road has fresh sweet corn- the perfect candidate for a late summer soup! This is a recipe I adapted from Weight Watchers. It's 2 points per serving. I added green pepper since I have plenty of peppers in my garden. I always make the broth I use for soups out of "Better than Bouillon". It is one of the best standard ingredients in my pantry and comes in chicken (regular or organic), beef, vegetable, mushroom, and clam. It comes in a jar in paste form. You make it as strong as you want. The flavor is much better than dried or canned bouillon. I always add a little more than the standard 1 tsp to 8 oz. When you strip the kernels from the cob, get as close as you can. After the cob is stripped, cut again to get as much of the "corn milk" as you can.

Fresh Curried Corn Soup

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 large or 2 small green peppers, chopped
2 tsp curry powder
4 c. chicken broth
5 ears of fresh sweet corn, kernels stripped from cob
3 large potatoes cut in little cubes (I like to use Yukon Gold)
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Optional: chopped scallions, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, plain yougurt

Heat oil in pan. Saute onion and green pepper until soft. Add curry powder and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add broth, corn, potatoes, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and use your immersion blender to partially puree the soup. To serve, sprinkle top with chopped scallions, cilantro, and/or chopped tomato. You can also serve with a dollop of plain yogurt on top.

Comments

  1. That sounds great! I'm going to have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I will have to remember this recipe the next time I buy corn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment