The Blueberries Are Ready for Picking!


The wild Maine blueberries are ready for picking. I went out into my back field this afternoon and there were carpets of blue here, there, and everywhere. Thirty plus years ago, before we moved into our house, our back field was commercially maintained and harvested for blueberries. Today, we just let it grow naturally. When my boys were young, they would spend hours in the back field picking blueberries. What fond memories I have of those days! The field weeds and vegetation now compete with the low bush blueberry plants, but there are still plenty of blueberry bushes everywhere you look. I have a high bush blueberry bush planted in my front yard that looks like it will be ready for picking next week. The blueberries on the high bush are much larger. But they both taste delicious. I'm looking forward to picking more and making some blueberry treats!

Comments