Vidalia Onion Quiche


Tonight I made a quiche to leave with my family for tomorrow's dinner, while I take off for NH. This quiche is my attempt at replicating the Vidalia Onion Quiche at Maple Hill Farm B&B. We had a staff retreat lunch there a few weeks ago and they made 3 different quiches we could choose from: red pepper quiche, sausage quiche, and vidalia onion quiche. Everyone took a piece of the first two, but no one touched the vidalia onion so I decided to try it. It was so delicious that Joyce and I had another slice instead of dessert. Obviously the vidalia onions were carmelized- they were so sweet and nicely browned. Well, here is my attempt to replicate it. (I use the standard quiche recipe from my Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook.)

Vidalia Onion Quiche

Pie crust
6 oz of grated sharp, white cheddar
2 sliced (in wedges, not rings) Vidalia onions, carmelized
3 eggs
1/2 cup of milk; 1/2 cup of light cream (you can do just milk but the cream makes it more creamy)

Make a pie crust bottom (or use one of the Pillsbury rolled up, cut crusts from the refrigerator section of the supermarket if you are in a hurry). Place the grated cheese on the bottom of the pie crust. The reason you lay this down first is because it helps form a moisture barrier between the filling and the pie crust so it doesn't get soggy. Next, add a layer of the carmelized vidalia onions. Beat together the 3 eggs and milk and pour it over the onion filling. Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes or until firm.

Enjoy- the quiche has a nice, sweet flavor of vidalia onions in a creamy filling!

Comments