Maine Lobster


I'm amazed at how low the live lobster prices are this year. I can buy lobster for less than I pay for premium boneless chicken breasts! I bought this 3 pound hardshell lobster for $6.79/lb (the soft shells were only $5.49/lb). They cook them for me at the supermarket for free while I shop. That way, I don't have to deal with putting the critters head first into the boiling water. I know they are only a lowly arthropod, but it still bothers me. I just take home the lobsters and pick out the meat. When they are 1.5 pounds or more, I use a technique I recently read about to extract that hard to get meat out of their legs, which is often not worth the effort. Pull the legs off and get a clean break from the body. Take a rolling pin and place it up near the pincers. Press down while slowly rolling the pin toward the break and the entire leg meat will extrude right out in one piece! This three pounder had claws as big as my hand!

Comments