Lobster Macaroni and Cheese


Last month we had a staff lunch to celebrate Meghan's wedding. The lunch had a Maine theme- we all brought a Maine food item. I brought Lobster Mac & Cheese. I once had this at a high end restaurant in Boston and was amazed at what a falvorful, texture-rich dish it was. So, I tried duplicating it by modifying my tried and true macaroni and cheese recipe from my old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook given to me as a wedding shower present over 30 years ago. I love that cookbook- my old gingham three-ring binder friend with the yellowed pages falling out. Use as much lobster as you wish. I used a 3 pounder for the luncheon but you really only need about 12 ounces to a pound of picked lobster meat. Here is my version:

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese

Lobster- chopped into small pieces
2 cups elbow macaroni
1/4 cup chopped onion
12 oz of white cheddar cheese (preferably sharp cheddar)
3 T flour
2 1/2 cups milk
4 T butter or substitute like Olivio
Sherry
Salt and pepper
Bread crumbs or Ritz crackers crumbled or tomato slices

1. Cook the macaroni until done, drain and set aside covered with a damp cloth.
2. Melt butter, stir in S&P and flour to make a paste and then slowly stir in milk and cook and stir until thickened and bubbly (add more flour if necessary) over med-hi heat.
3. Add onion and cheese and cook and stir until cheese melts.
4. Toss macaroni with cheese mixture and add lobster. Stir all together.
5. Pour into baking pan and top with bread or cracker crumbs or top with slices of fresh tomato lightly salted.
6. Bake at 350 for 35-40 min or until browned and bubbly. Makes about 8 servings.

Comments

  1. This sounds delicious! I didn't realize that you were such a foodie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment