Mochi Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Mochi Chocolate Chunk Cookies





I was watching Molly Yeh, from "Girl Meets Farm" on the Food Network channel, make mochi chocolate chip cookies and decided I needed to try this! Mochi is a soft, chewy glutinous sticky rice paste popular in Japan. I love the mochi ice cream balls and adding mochi to a cookie sounded interesting! The recipe can be found at: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mochi-cookies-17642033   The cookies came out great (and my grandkids loved them). The mochi center was nice and chewy! A few tips and changes I made include:

1. Be sure to buy the right type of rice flour. Not all rice flours can be used to make mochi. I ordered Mochiko Sweet Rice flour through Amazon.

 2. I used the semi-sweet chocolate chunks that are in the supermarket section that has the packages of chocolate chips.

3. I cut back on the sugar. I used one cup of light brown sugar and skipped the granulated sugar.

2. Mochi is very sticky so be aware it is a bit of a challenge to clean the pan after making the mochi. I wipe it out with paper towels as much as I can before washing the pan.

3. I used cornstarch to dust the surface when I rolled out the mochi.

4. Make sure the mochi is at least 1/2 inch thick when you roll it out. You only need to cut out about 2 inch square pieces.

5. I sprinkled sea salt on top of the cookies after baking.

Enjoy!

Comments